Welcome to Eat.Drink

Here at Eat.Drink, we do a lot of both :-) We trial a lot of recipes (mostly our own inventions) We try a lot of new drinks.. alcoholic and non alcoholic and we eat out resonably frequently so we thought that we might share what we are up to by reveiwing our foodie/boozy experiments and experiences - for your edification and enjoyment (and ours!)



Cheers, The Brunette and BombGuy



Saturday, November 5, 2011

Disappointing

It all started on Friday night really.  Bombguy decided as our favourite cider was at full price (champagne taste on a beer budget..) that we would have something different. Monteiths radler was the go, much to my joy as it has ben my favourite beer for quite some time.
I opened my first bottle, took my first mouthful of my prized brew and was rewarded with the taste of soap...OHH NOO! Not a good start.  I took my second mouthful hoping for  the much loved citrusy tang but unfortunately it wasnt to be. Dont get me wrong here Radler is probably the same, just my tastes have changed, so that was disappointment no. 1.

Saturday dawned with sun, JOY!  after the appalling weather we've had the last few days it was a relief, we went for a wee walk and were impessed to see snow down to about 200 metres all around us.  This is quite rare and barely happens in winter let alone spring! Then Bombguy and I went off about our business and eventually made it to Hokitika via various garage sales to Cafe de Paris (again) for our now ritualistic coffee and cake... behold the pictures:

Berry Cheesecake

Chocolate Cake

Looks great, yum yum... Er not actually. Disappointment No.2

Berry Cheesecake was nice but nothing you couldnt have got from the supermarket freezer hmmm, BombGuy was a bit down in the mouth really.
Chocolate Cake well I'm afraid we had better results in my intro to baking class three weeks ago.  It was again very basic, slightly too dry and there was distinct overtones of baking soda. The only thing that was really good about it was the strawberry slice on the top that had nicely infused the little bit of icing under it with its juice. HMMM!  The only thing that saved this wee outting was the Flat Whites which are always consistantly good.

So next week we are off to somewhere completely different.. lets see how it goes.

I did however make a really good stew for tea, involving lashings of garlic, red wine and rosemary with kumara, carrots and baby green beans.

Results are Cheesecake and Chocolate Cake both 2/5. Hmmmm....

Cheers,
The Brunette

No comments:

Post a Comment